Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Countdown

The countdown app on my smartphone tells me it is 12 days until moving day!  The house is almost bare except for empty furniture and the stuff we use every day.  Supplies for cleaning, food and shampoo are getting whittled down and I still find stuff to to throw out and clean everyday. The garage is (somewhat neatly) stacked with boxes containing almost all of our worldly possessions. It's hard to believe it's only been two months since we returned from our first trip to The Villages. A reminder of that old adage: things can change in the blink of an eye.

I retired from my career a year and a half ago. My retirement could be summed up as simply "not working".  The rest of my life went on exactly the same - same house, same friends, same shul, same stores.  Now I envision my future retirement as moving on to something new, something even better.

There's a TV commercial for some kind of financial planning that says "retirement is the time you pay yourself for doing what you've always wanted to do". It is slowly dawning on me that there are in fact things I want to try and do and see and learn still out there. 

Counting down!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment