Saturday, October 12, 2013

Advice

Every month Oprah asks a question to the readers of her magazine "O".  This month's issue asks: If you could offer one piece of advice to the world, what would it be?

I could offer up lots of advice based on my status as an Old Wise Woman, my 64 years of life experiences and the oodles of mistakes that resulted in me learning stuff the hard way almost every time (sometimes I got lucky and things just worked out well). But if I had to chose just one piece of advice it would be this: get a copy of Dale Carnegie's 1937 book "How To Win Friends and Influence People" and read, read, and re-read it.

My Dad gave me an edition that looks like this picture (it's packed now) and it has served me well in my business and personal life.  I am still not the most popular person and winning friends is still a little tough for me but I like to think that over the years I've internalized the principles in this book and apply them without thinking. I know that when I make a conscious effort to remember the advice in this book, my life gets a positive boost.

Making friends and influencing (not manipulating) people can make the crucial difference in every aspect of your life, be it negotiating a raise or getting past a relationship crisis.  So Oprah, this is my suggestion: even after 76 years, this little book is still as relevant as the day it was first published. 

Thanks again Dad.

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment