Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Ten Commandments

The year was 1956 and I was only 6 or possibly just 7.  We lived in Canada and one night my folks took me to see The Ten Commandments.  It was the first movie I had ever seen or at least most definitely the first movie I remember seeing.  Of course I already knew the story from six Seders but oh! to see it played out "live"!  It was truly like going back in a time machine and as we say on Passover - we should feel like we ourselves were led from bondage in Egypt.  I certainly did.  Needless to say, Moses will forever look to me like Charleton Heston and Rasmes like Yul Brenner. And in my mind I know how the voice of God sounds.

The Ten Commandments was on TV last night, still glorious and beautiful and moving.

My folks gave me this lovely bracelet to remind me of the Ten Commandments.  Somewhere along the line Commandment 8, thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor, went missing.  I think I am OK with that one.  Truth be told, some of the others might need a little work.

Thanks Mom and Dad.  May your memories be for blessing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment