Sunday, March 17, 2013

Irish Today

I love St. Patrick's Day, perhaps because I'm from Chicago and lived under both Mayors Daley.  No matter how strapped the City's finances were they would never dream of cancelling the downtown St. Paddy's Day Parade or forgo dyeing the Chicago River soylent green.

I have my own rituals for celebrating March 17th each year: I wear my green socks with the pots of gold, my shamrock earrings and the plastic leprechaun pins my Mom gave me.  I make a fine corned beef dinner with boiled cabbage and tiny roasted potatoes.  And of course when we lived in Chicago we bundled up and gamely stood on State Street waving as the Irish Police Association and various high school marching bands passed by.

Erin Go Bragh!  Ireland Forever!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment