Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Nashville

Hubby has a colloquia in Nashville next month where he'll coach would-be PhD candidates through the arduous but rewarding dissertation process.  When I retired I promised to join him on such trips but only if they were going to be held in interesting places. Nashville certainly qualifies and I'm excited about this junket to the Deep South. I haven't been there since our cross-country over-the-road days.

Nashville is known for the Grand Ole Opry, an exact scale model of the Greek Parthenon, Honky Tonk Row and the homes of country music greats like Dolly Parton and Alan Jackson.  I want to see all those things but to tell the truth, I always opt for the historical sites over any other attraction in any city I visit.  The Alamo, Gettysburg, Mount Vernon - I love to see the places where history was made.

Nashville is home to President Andrew Jackson's estate, The Hermitage, the antebellum Belle Meade slave plantation and the 1864 battlefield known as Pickett's Charge, a disaster for the Confederate forces.  I can skip the country music as long as I can wander around the historic countryside and feel the presence of those Southern ghosts.

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment