Thursday, May 16, 2013

Shop Local

When I learned that a giant new Wal-Mart superstore would be opening in Davie, a mere 5.4 miles away, I rejoiced.  I was certain I would be there all-the-time. 

But then, a little Okey Dokey grocery market opened up about a mile from home, where the old Deli Den (sniff sniff) used to be.  It's small and certainly doesn't stock everything I need or want, but I love to shop there.  It's got super buys and great meat and veggies and I get a little bit of that "old country store" vibe when I stop by.  There are usually only a couple of employees in the store and never a big line at the check out.  It's no Wal-Mart but therein lies its attraction. 

Between Okey-Dokey and the Winn Dixie that's only a few blocks from home, I can get just about everything on my shopping list. These fine establishments are clustered around Lulu's Nail Salon, the Stirling Road branch library, the Brooklyn Water Bagel, the One-Price dry cleaners and Sylvia's Kosher, other favorite stops in my day. 

I decided I truly enjoy shopping in my neighborhood. It's a different feeling than driving all around suburbia to Big Chain Stores.  Oh I will still be doing that too I'm sure, but my everyday errands will be getting done close to home. 

And that's Okey Dokey with me  ;-)


1 comment: