Thursday, May 2, 2013

Obamacare

I just finished reading this book on Obamacare.  It reads like a novel - a horror novel!  Scary is not the word. 

I chose this book because the author seemed well qualified to dissect the "Affordable" "Care" Act in a non-partisan and professional manner (and of course it was available at the library).  Like anything new, there are "winners" and "losers".  But I fear there will be far more losers than winners when the biggest part of this law goes into effect on New Year's Day 2014. 

Intellectually speaking (I have to stretch here) it is a huge effort at social engineering. There is no doubt care will be stingier for us old folks who probably should not work so hard at staying alive and taxing the system.  Instead of that costly knee or hip replacement maybe we should just gulp down a painkiller.   

I see what my relatives have going for them in Canada and it is spooky.  My cousin - for whom money is not a problem - had to wait weeks to start treatment for breast cancer.  I fear this is what awaits us here in the States.  And just like a true horror story, there is literally No Way Out - everyone will be impacted.  The book's title is a bit of a fraud - there is no good way to "beat" Obamacare.

My next book will be on medical tourism - treatment available in other countries.

:-(

No comments:

Post a Comment