Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Dumb and Dumber

In the news today: three dumb-dumbs sought to hide crucial evidence in the Boston Marathon bombings and lied to Federal authorities to "help" terrorist Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, their "good buddy".  Now they face five to eight years in prison and probably deportation to their native country which is probably somewhat worse than Siberia in winter.

So how dumb was I when I was around 19 years old?  Pretty dumb. 

I'd meet new "friends" and go off joy riding with them (like hubby on the night we met).  I'd loan small sums of money to "friends" that I never saw again (neither the friends or the money).  I let myself be robbed (once) by leaving cash in an accessible place.  I made bad choices in jobs (pre IT days) and cars and professional attire.  I ventured into questionable neighborhoods to (believe it or not) buy shoes.  I tried every new diet fad (to this day I can't look at grapefruit) and did many, many other silly, stupid and risky things.  Don't we all?

Sometimes we get lucky (like me) and no serious harm comes to us as a result of our little misadventures.  I know I did. 

But I know for sure that it would have been easy for my relatively tame escapades to have turned into true catastrophes.  That they did not is something I am eternally grateful for.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment