Sunday, May 19, 2013

Apocalypse Now

Nuclear disaster. Giant Meteors. Aliens. Pandemics. Volcanic eruptions under the Earth's surface. Global annihilation. Body snatchers. I really do not care much for those post-apocalyptic themes in movies and TV but they seem to be everywhere these days and a few seem to be actually semi-believable and well written. They all have a central core: We Will Survive.

My favorite of the bunch was Jericho, a TV show that was out a few years back and despite a loyal following in the "right" demographic (18 to 34 year olds) was abruptly cancelled.  Such is the curse of most of the shows I really like.  My least favorite was the Will Smith movie I Am Legend, mainly because it scared the bejesus out of me in a way the others did not quite manage. 

I think I can trace the roots of the popularity of disaster films to the 1983 TV "event" The Day After.  Although its debut was watched by 100 million people, I assure you, I was not one of them.  I cannot be sure but my guess is that I was probably hiding out in the kitchen with a half gallon container of ice cream.

Just in case there ever is a real-life apocalypse, I've stashed a few cans of Ensure in the back of the pantry and a few cans of sterno in the garage.

We Will Survive!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment