Monday, July 15, 2013

Osteoporosis Part Two

I had a bad (horrible) reaction to the Boniva my doctor prescribed.  Luckily she wisely gave me only one pill to try it first (one pill is the monthly dose).  I do need to talk to her about other pharmaceutical options but in the meantime I am pursuing natural options - better vitamin supplements and a weight bearing exercise program.  The four books on osteoporosis I took out from the library today are filled with tips and encouraging words of advice.

So today I took my first half-hour walk (the recommended starting point for us couch potatoes) with a ten pound weight belt.  I walked my neighborhood and rediscovered the secret walking trail that lies behind some of our nicest houses. 

What a pleasant surprise!  I had forgotten how peaceful and beautiful the trail is.  It meanders up and down small gentle hills and exquisite landscaping and follows along our gorgeous hidden lake.  Benches are strategically placed at points that promise tranquility and untroubled meditation (just in case I need a rest).  

So my program is off to a better restart today and I am looking forward to many more walks in my secret corner of paradise.

PS Dolly did not mind it a bit!

;-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment