Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Better

Except for things like gardening or cleaning I am always looking to do things better.  I have decided that this is due to my youth when everything was graded and also due to having those rarely voiced but always present expectations from my Yiddisha parents.  I hear that nowadays kids are rarely admonished for failing to excel and even are awarded attaboys for just "trying". No way Jose would this have cut it in my younger days.

I find that I do best whenever whatever I am trying can be measured for improvement.  My weight on the scale each morning.  My checkbook balance.  Stuff like that. 

So it is no surprise that on my new pro-bone-health program of walking every day I have come to prefer the state-of-the-art treadmill in my community workout room to meandering with Dolly.  This device tells me how far I've gone (about a mile and a half), how fast my heart rate was (about 110 I think), how many calories I've burned (about 125) and how fast I averaged (about 3.1 mph).  Seeing these numbers reminds me of (ugh) school which motivates me to increase this machine's opinion of my performance.

After all, it might be going on my "permanent record". 

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment