Sunday, July 7, 2013

Hashkiveinu Adonai


Hashkiveinu (Grant O God) is a beautiful prayer in the Reform Friday night service.  I learned it by listening to a CD of the Cantor singing the Friday night prayers.  Even though I do not know a word of Hebrew, I could listen for hours to his beautiful voice and after a while I too could sing the prayers in Hebrew (sort of).  And although I did not know what the words of Hashkiveinu meant I could tell from the sweet melody that it was a beseeching prayer, a bit unusual as most Jewish prayers are songs of praise and thankfulness, rather than ones asking for something. 

Last Friday night, the Rabbi explained the original source and meaning of Hashkiveinu and the commentary of learned Rabbis on its placement in the service.  I found his discussion fascinating and dare I say it?  Better than his usual sermons hahaha.  Hashkiveinu also has the line that I often hear whenever Israel is threatened by outside forces: Spread over us the shelter of Your peace.

I am reminded of how much I love the Shabbat Siddur (Mishkan T'Filah) we use at Temple Solel.  The traditional prayers are shown in Hebrew, English and phonetic translation of the Hebrew.  Interspersed are complementary texts that feature themes from modern Jewish life - diversity, feminism, social justice, human challenges, values, emotions and ideals.  They are lovely and several have touched me deeply.

Shabbat Shalom!


No comments:

Post a Comment