Saturday, July 20, 2013

Detroit

Detroit, Michigan filed for bankruptcy yesterday. I am not surprised.

About 14 years ago I was working for an I.T. Director hired from the City of Detroit (big bucks plus relocation expenses) who amazed me with her repertoire of meaningless buzzwords and total lack of any kind of I.T. knowledge. But tucked in her resume was leadership of a giant 48 million dollar I.T. project, aptly named "DREAMS", from which she had the good fortune to escape to Florida shortly before it completely bombed. I was saddened by the thought of such incompetence wasting millions of tax payer dollars in a city that could little afford it, even then.

The pictures of the blight in Detroit are heartbreaking. No American city should look like a third world country or have police response time of an hour or more. I feel for the retired Detroit firefighters who will lose much of their pensions and who have no Social Security to fall back upon. Along with sadness, I am angry at the decades of mismanagement and graft that brought this once proud city to its knees.

I hope Detroit can emerge stronger from this mess and keep those old DREAMS alive...

:-(

No comments:

Post a Comment