Monday, July 9, 2012

Lulu

Lulu has been doing my nails since November 2010.  She is Vietnamese and the owner of Lulu Nail Spa.  She's about 30, works 7 days a week and is only off on Christmas Day.  She has an eleven month old son, Ryan, and she doesn't speak English very well.

I stopped going to Lulu's for a few months awhile back to try the nail salon next to the Winn-Dixie which is very close to home.  But I went back to Lulu because the ladies at the new salon were always bickering, their selection of nail polish was abysmal and no one does as good a job as Lulu. 

Today Lulu told me that if I wanted her to keep doing my nails I need to go to her new, second salon that she just bought.  You guessed it - it's the salon next to the Winn-Dixie, right by home!  Sure, I'm happy that getting my nails done there will save me a 10 mile round trip, but I'm happier still that this hard-working, talented and ambitious young woman is making her American Dream come true.

They say that Asians are the fastest growing ethnic group in the country, even more so than Hispanics.  You don't hear too much about them though because the common belief is that they are smart, educated, industrious, respectful and self-reliant.  I don't have much of a sample to go by but if a great number are like Lulu, I'd say that stereotype may have legs! Go Lulu!



No comments:

Post a Comment