Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I Feel Bad About My Neck

I opened the paper this morning to an unexpected obituary - Nora Ephron.  I feel like I knew her, even though of course we had never met.  She was the me I wished I was (although there is nothing wrong with the real me) - smart, sassy, beyond talented, approachable, down-to-earth and of course, a Maven.  Oh I enjoyed her silly stories and screenplays like "Sleepless in Seattle" and "Julie and Julia" with the rest of the world but when someone writes a bit of their personal story you feel like they have offered themselves to you as a friend and, as they say, opened the kimona. 

So it was for me when I read "I Feel Bad About My Neck And Other Thoughts On Being A Woman".  I remember bits and pieces from it (I read it four years ago) like "after a certain age you will be unable to avoid getting a tummy no matter what you do or how thin you are" and "hair dye is your best friend"

Her best advice?
Don't learn how to iron or someone will make you do it.
Don't eat anything that's not worth eating.
You know as much about investing your money as they do.
Marry a man who was unhappily married to his first wife for 17 years.
Get a dog.
And sadly, Life is too short.

1 comment: