Sunday, June 24, 2012

DIY

Scott on the roof circa 1992
I confess, if given a choice I prefer to Do It Myself.  This comes from two things: I think I can do it better and I am somewhat of a cheapskate.  I do know my limitations however and would never attempt something like wallpapering or extracting an ingrown toenail (luckily I have never had the latter). Cutting my own hair is also out (although trimming my bangs is fine).  I used to cut our grass on the riding mower in Illinois but the Florida heat and cheap labor makes that a silly proposition here. 

Hubby is very talented in all things homeowner so we once tackled several DIY projects ourselves including drywall and recessed lighting.  But when Scott turned 12 he became the helper of choice. Together they built a sauna, remodeled the attic, built an arbor over the deck and countless other weekend warrior projects.

Now Scott is a homeowner himself.  He can and has built and rebuilt homes (including his current one) from the ground up.  I am so proud that he lends his skills to friends, neighbors and Habitat for Humanity.  And I am especially fond of saying that the student has surpassed the master!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment