Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Grief

Sheryl's yartzeit was yesterday, June 5th.  I plugged in the little memorial light into the electric socket, I said Kaddish for her last Friday night, I posted our pictures on Facebook with a message to the world that I still missed her and always would.  I called her widower and thought of her throughout the day. 

There is so little we can do to assuage our grief for a lost loved one.  We can give to charities or form a new one in their honor.  Put a plaque up on the Shul wall or buy a brick with their name.  Dedicate our next big accomplishment to them or tattoo their name on our body.  Make a pile of teddy bears and candles by the roadside or in front of their house.  Write a eulogy or a song or a poem. Go to grief counseling sessions with other bereaved folks.  Cry.

In our lives there will be times of profound sadness.  But I believe each of these times will be balanced by times of white-light joy and blessings bordering on miracles.

Thanks Sheryl, for the miracle of my 40 years with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment