Monday, June 25, 2012

Very Brave

Victoria and I took Kyra to see Brave last night.  Only for Kyra would I venture into Miami, into the Aventura Mall, a busy, noisy, overcrowded throng of humanity dressed in designer duds and upscale acessories.  But I digress...

Brave is a little girl's Disney fairy tale - the heroine is a cute and funny Princess (what little girl isn't?) and it comes with a witch, a spell, a faithful horse and loving parents.  But am I I the only one who noticed? - there is no handsome Prince!  Not even a hint that one is waiting on the sidelines.  In fact, one of the themes is "I am OK alone".  

Beauty has her Beast.  Cinderella has her Prince Charming. Snow White has whats-his-name.  Mulan has Mushu. Ariel has Prince Eric. Jasmine has Aladdin.  Brave little Merida has herself, her skill with a bow and arrow, and her guts.  This is something new.

And a valuable message for little 21st century girls...  

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment