Friday, June 15, 2012

Vote for Dick

OK, I bet 99.9% of folks do not have a clue who the City Commissioner from their district is, but having worked for the City of Hollywood for twelve years I am acutely (painfully?) aware of local politics.  There are only three or four of our local elected officials I would not classify as complete nincompoops but fortunately one of them is my own District 4 Commissioner, Richard "Dick" Blattner.

Dick is member of our Temple and the "voice of reason" when tough issues come up at the Commission meetings.  You can tell he actually reads the back-up material provided by the ubiquitous "staff" (I used to be one).

So last night in my new role as retiree (not something I could have done as an employee) I volunteered to assist him in his bid for re-election (Lord knows why he wants this thankless job) and do battle against the upstart challenger, a Lake Worth fire-fighter who is using his mother's address as his Hollywood residence.  It was interesting to hear Dick's campaign manager, Marty Gould (a James Carville look-alike) dissect the precincts of District 4, their previous voting records and tell us FOD (Friends of Dick) what needs to be done in terms of campaigning.

My part?  I'm going to host a meet-and-greet for Dick with my neighbors & make calls to folks who have requested absentee ballots  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment