Sunday, June 3, 2012

God Save The Queen

The world is celebrating the 60th anniversary of the reign of Queen Elizabeth.  It is good to see that grand old lady - 86 and counting - and her 91 year old Prince Charming still so vibrant and regal and beloved.              

So what does this momentous occasion mean to me?  Well, after her coronation, the Queen made the rounds of ummm, the Entire World, and included a brief visit to Chicago.  My father, considering this a not-to-be-missed opportunity, let me play hooky for a day and see the Queen presented with the Key to the City by Mayor Daley (the original) at the Grant Park amphitheatre.  Since I remember the event, it had to be a few years after the actual coronation - I had to be at least 8 years old. This lovely souvenir of the day was available, and as you can see, it is not some shlocky plastic doo-dad that would be an acceptable souvenir if such pageantry were held today.

Thank you Dad, for the souvenir and for the day downtown with my Dad. You were The Best.



No comments:

Post a Comment