Thursday, April 19, 2012

Retirement Recap

I've been retired for 8 weeks now.  These are the things I wrote that I was worried about right before I retired:

Boredom. Nope!  I have been busy every minute, so much so that I have to caution myself to slow down and stop and smell more roses.

So much togetherness with hubby will result in mutual annihilation. Nope!  We seem to have fallen into an enjoyable pattern that gives us both enough "space". 

Snacking all day to the point of fatso-ness. Hmmm.  I certainly have not lost any weight but so far I'm holding my own ;-)

The loss of my so-called identity as a productive member of society.  Hahaha, not even the tiniest twinge of remorse here.

The mind-rotting wasteland of daytime TV.  I doubled my Netflix subscription to two at a time so there is always something halfway decent to watch.  And I am patronizing the library more than ever.

Losing the joy of tyrannizing my hapless subordinates into doing my bidding (they have my number so that rarely works anyway). Surprisingly, I do miss the day-to-day office chatter and my team the most.  I especially wish I could hear my boss tell me the words I love to hear: "You were right about everything Ev"!

Money.  For decades this of course was my biggest fear about retiring.  Incredibly, it is not a concern and I think about it less than I ever did.  This is because I know I did the best I could to plan and save for retirement and there is nothing more I can do at this point.  What will be will be and I will live on whatever I have and be happy no matter what.

I can honestly say retirement has exceeded my expectations! So much so that I wonder what on earth I ever was worried about.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment