Monday, April 16, 2012

Her Greatest Gift

My home is filled with dozens of gifts from my late Best Friend of 40 years.  I cannot glance around any room in my house without seeing at least one. The Hotei-san and Japanese Fisherman statues she bought for me in 1969 from a head shop.  Her handmade stained glass windows and my kaleidoscope.  The red apple cookie jar that has been a mainstay in every single one of my kitchens.  The sterling silver dreidel that plays "I have a little dreidel".  The precious illustrated Torah and Haggadah.  The art glass in the breakfront.  Her diamond hoop earrings in an antique filigree she knew I'd love, her last gift to me.

Her Greatest Gift?  No not the generous monetary bequest that blew me away. Her Greatest Gift are her children, Scott and Laura, and the five grandchildren she never lived to see.  Thanks to them, I am "Bubbe". 

Just before she died she told me "take care of the kids".  I told her "Honey, I think I need the kids to take care of me".  She said "no Ev, they need you". 

I guess we all need each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment