Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What's In A Name?

I hear that the "Baby Name of the Year" for 2011 is (wait for this) Siri.

Perhaps the parents of little Siri are not really naming their child after an Apple app but intended to use the Scandinavian diminutive of Sigrid.

When I am truly so bored that even Zynga games do not interest me, I play around with the Baby Name Wizard.  "Evelyn" was ranked number 39 in 2009 down from number 12 in the 1910's but up from it's low of 262 in the 1970's. 

I must admit I like my name.  It is not too "girly" and would be acceptable if say I wanted to run for President.  It is unusual enough so that I was almost always the only Evelyn in my class or at work but still not too over the top.  It doesn't rhyme with anything nasty (although Evvy rhymes with heavy) and it was not too difficult to learn to spell.

I think that if I had a child I would have leaned toward names of Biblical orgin.  They seem to weather the test of time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment