Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Affection for the Election

I try to be an informed voter.  I follow the issues and try to keep an open mind. 

I used to be a registered Independent until I realized that meant I could not vote for anyone in the the Florida primaries.  A few months ago I changed my registered voter status from Democrat to Republican so I could make sure ultra "socially conservative" candidates would not win the Republican nomination. In Florida, how you are registered makes a difference in who you can vote for. 

I am a fiscal conservative and a social moderate.  I support a woman's Right To Choose and Gay Marriage. But most of all, I support Israel.

When I was a decade away from having the right to vote, my father told me how I should vote in all elections.  He told me to vote for whomever undeniably supports Israel.  He told me that if Israel fails my life would be worthless.  What a strange thing to tell a child! But I think I understood what he was getting at.  To survive as a people, with so much hatred in the world, we need a country, a political identity and a strong military.  The Holocaust and the war for Israeli independence was very fresh in his mind.

Can't wait to do my part to Rock The Vote again on Tuesday January 31st.

No comments:

Post a Comment