Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cold Spell

This month marks 16 years since we moved to Florida.  And how am I rewarded for making this milestone?  With temperatures in the 40s!

The incentive for moving to Florida was not only my desire to be near my aging mother but to escape the dreaded Chicago winters.  I remember sleeping in sweat pants and a sweat shirt, with double socks, under an electric blanket turned to max-blast after imbibing a hefty dose of NyQuil to assuage the symptoms of my ever present winter cold.

No more turning the car on and running back into the house to let it warm up for a half hour!  No more digging out of the driveway, slipping on the ice, feeling my fingers and toes go numb or sloshing around in my moon boots (I wore them long after they had gone out of style).  I traded the fireplace (which I must admit I loved) for the swimming pool and the hot tub.

I have the Cold Spell to thank for the (hopefully) brief reminder of why I love Florida.

;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment