Tuesday, January 10, 2012

HAIR

HAIR (the musical not the follicle) opens at the Kravis Center in Palm Beach today.  Although I enjoy seeing live entertainment, I truly do not feel the desire to see it mainly because I can recite the lyrics from its every song by heart.  

I harbor a sentimental soft spot for HAIR.  I think of it as the sound track for my generation. 

I remember skipping up the streets of downtown Chicago linked arm-in-arm with my BFF Sheryl after seeing it live almost 40 years ago.  I guess we were on a "natural high" although perhaps the high was not so natural since there was a cloud of marijuana smoke in the second balcony where we were all sitting (the cheap seats).

HAIR evoked mixed feelings because it touched on my duelling desires of wanting to support our military and simultaneously wanting the war to be over and all our boys to be home safe and sound. It also spoke to my generation's love of freedom, our acceptance of all races, and the belief that tomorrow would bring us into a new age where peace shall guide the planets and love will steer the stars.

It was the dawning of the Age of Aquarius...

No comments:

Post a Comment