Saturday, January 14, 2012

Turbo Tax

It's January and the start of the three month period I joyfully refer to as Tax Time.  The mail brings new things almost daily which I dutifully enter into Turbo Tax. I watch with dread as the red number on the top of each screen grows bigger and bigger.

I have always done our taxes and as the years went by and they got more and more complex my knowledge of the tax code grew commensurately.  Owning rental property, earning money for consulting, paying estimated taxes and having an S corporation increased the paperwork tenfold. 

Before tax software made its blessed arrival I would do the taxes in pencil with a giant eraser by my side.  When something necessitated a change on one form I would have to go back and change almost all the other forms as well. 

I have never filed online because I am afraid all our personal information would then be housed in some giant database, available for who-knows-what nefarious purpose and susceptible to hacking. 

After all, who can trust the IRS??  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment