Friday, October 3, 2014

Kol Nidre

The Former Congregation B'nai David
Tonight is Kol Nidre, the holiest night of the year. How do I know this? My father told me.

One of my clearest memories is of the magical night my father took me to Kol Nidre services at B'nai David on Foster Avenue. We walked there and back of course and Mapquest tells me it was only about a mile and a half. I'm sure it seemed much longer going home in the middle of the night.

It was the first year B'nai David was built. The windows you see in the picture were not yet put in and plastic sheets covered the openings. It was a windy night - and probably cold too - and the plastic flapped around eerily during the service. I was thrilled with the new synagogue as it meant we did not have to walk to Albany Park where my father usually fulfilled the duties of cantor and shofar blower at the old Beth Jacob synagogue.

The congregation at B'nai David loved my father and were amazed at his shofar blowing expertise. I was very proud.

My father told me that on Kol Nidre the Gates of Heaven are open. Should one happen to die on Kol Nidre they go straight up.

Both B'nai David and Beth Jacob are long gone now, transformed into Korean Churches. My father is gone too now, 21 years. But tonight, Kol Nidre, I know I will feel his presence once again.

G'mar Chatimah Tovah. May you be inscribed in the Book of Life for Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment