Friday, February 1, 2013

The Doctors

Dr. Ronald Gilbert
I learned today that Dr. Ronald Gilbert was murdered by a disgruntled patient three days ago.  Of course I was reminded of Dr. Bradley Silverman who was murdered in Aventura, also by a disgruntled and mentally unbalanced patient.  The similarities are striking, not the least of which is that they were both Jewish surgeons in the prime of their lives and careers.

I met Dr. Silverman when I was a hospital patient in January 1998, almost exactly 15 years ago, when I had abdominal surgery for an intestinal blockage.  Dr. Bradley Silverman was my surgeon's partner and one day he substituted for my surgeon during the daily rounds.  I remember him as kind and funny - I was well enough by that time to joke around. Exactly one year later, in January 1999, he was dead at only 41.  

When we joined Temple Solel, I looked at the memorial wall which is lighted by 40 years of the Temple's deceased members.  There was Dr. Silverman's light.  

His light not only burns there, but also in the scholarships, the medical helicopter, the mobile mammogram unit and the other tributes that bear his name. 

It also burns  in the memories of his patients and those he helped in his too-short career.  

Like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment