Monday, February 4, 2013

American Sniper

Chris  Kyle, author of American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History, was shot to death yesterday. 

This book is not the kind that is in my usual selection of reading material so I cannot tell you why I reserved it a few months ago from the library.  To tell the truth, when it arrived I could not read more than a chapter or two.  My impression was that although this man was a hero, and certainly endowed with unique skills, he was a bit of an egoist and really, why write a book with such a self aggrandizing title?   But I caught him a few times on "Stars Earn Stripes" and he seemed to be more of a man and less of a superhero with a special power.
 
So I will remember this Navy Seal for his service to our country, for his two Silver Stars and five Bronze Stars for Valor, for the foundation he started to help other Vets with post-traumatic stress, and for the lives he saved and not the number of his kills.

RIP Chris Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment