Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cantor Rosen

It was New Year's Eve, Friday, December 31, 2010.  I had decided that 2011 would best be welcomed by starting off with Friday night services. I had a lot to be thankful for in 2010 and this seemed a small way to express my gratitude.

We had never before been to Temple Solel. But when I heard Cantor Israel Rosen sing and play his guitar, I knew this would be my new spiritual home.  His "Mi Shebeirach" moved me to tears.

Last night at Friday night services the Rabbi talked about how young Israeli soldier Israel Rosen, only 20 years old, had slept at the foot of the Western Wall on June 7, 1967, the day he helped to return the Wall to Israeli hands and to Jews everywhere.  Wow! Who Knew? 

I chatted with the Cantor's wife after the service at the Oneg and learned that the Cantor's parents had come to Israel on the ship that was first turned away by the British. Two decades later their son, whom they named for the new state, would help liberate the Kotel.  It would be the "Wailing Wall" no longer, as our tears of sadness became tears of joy.

Karma has continued to follow me this week.  This is the second post this week that embraces the Wall...

No comments:

Post a Comment