Thursday, September 6, 2012

Scary

A few weeks ago the Rabbi said at Torah Study that Jews do not have to worry in America because we are "completely assimilated".  He went on to explain the reason he knows this is because "non-Jews are happy or even eager to marry us; We are completely acceptable as marriage partners". 

It is true that lots of people think Jews make acceptable or even desirable marriage partners (what's not to like??) but I think he is waaaay off the mark.  I may well be paranoid but I believe there are lots of people who do not view Jews favorably, for whatever reason.  Many think "Jew" is synonymous with shyster lawyer or Wall Street goniff or top-one-percenter.  Many other labels are even less flattering. 

So why was I shocked and appalled and scared and horrified when the Democratic National Convention - in an effort to rectify the down-sizing of their platform's support for Israel - booed loudly when the chairman over-rode the clear ANTI-Israel majority after THREE attempts to get the amendment passed?  I should have known better!  Let's face it, there was only one reason for the last minute amendment - to pacify the crazed (rightfully so) and powerful voting block of Jewish Democrats (especially those here in Florida).  

I am not exaggerating when I say this was a sad and frightening thing for me to see on live TV. 





No comments:

Post a Comment