Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day

Today is Labor Day and time to reflect on 1) hard working Americans who keep this country going and 2) Unions - which played a major part in getting us fair, reasonable and safe working conditions, ending child labor laws and perhaps becoming more powerful than the very institutions they sought to change.

When I retired a few months ago, I was a couple of months shy of completing 42 years of full time labor in the workforce.  In my early years I had an assortment of crummy jobs while I searched to "find myself":  Nanny (3 days!), Dental Assistant (maybe 6 months), Over-the-Road-Trucker (3 plus years), Accounting Clerk (2 1/2 years), mindless Clerical Drone in offices and small factories, Temp Worker and even Avon lady and Thrift Store owner.  When I finally found my "calling" in "Data Processing" and later "Information Technology", I was at last able to actually enjoy the last 32 years of my working life.

Happy Labor (or in my case, no-longer-laboring) Day!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment