Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Life After Death

I'm reading the latest Spenser mystery, Lullaby.  Too bad the prolific creator and author of all things Spenser, Robert B. Parker, died in early 2010.  .

I felt the same sadness about losing my old friend Archy McNally when that incredible talent Lawrence Sanders passed away in 1998 (like Parker, he was also 78).  And though I did not start reading Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books until after his death in 1975 (he was 88) I certainly wished Nero and Archie Goodwin would continue to eat and dance forever.

But luckily for us fans, Spenser (and Susan Silverman and Hawk and Pearl The Wonder Dog) live on.  Along with Nero and Archy, Spenser lives on because 1) fans miss them and will pay for just one more book PLEEZE! and 2) talented authors have copied the style of their originators so flawlessly that even I can hardly tell the difference.  In fact, I think Lullaby may be the best Spenser story yet!

Thank you Ace Atkins, Vincent Lardo and Robert Goldsborough.  Through you our favorite characters have Life after Death.

;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment