Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Whole Megillah

It's Purim, a fun holiday one could liken to Halloween with happy children dressed in costumes and lots of noise and hamentaschen (small triangular cakes filled with poppy seeds, prunes or apricots).  It is also time to read the Megillah, the Book of Esther. This year I am without the centuries old Megillah (see picture) belonging to my ancestors.  I passed this incredible heirloom to cousin Charles, grandson of my father's sister Gittel who, along with my first cousin Rivka and many other family members, perished in the Holocaust.  Charles has four fabulous children, all observant, and I know the Megillah will be well preserved and honored by our family's future generations.

I would like to thank my friend Shel, who painstakingly preserved the memory of my family treasure for me in the form of a carefully pieced together .pdf file. 

I heard Benjamin Netanyahu's speech Monday night warning of the dangers of a nuclear armed Iran.  He reminded us to honor Esther, who saved us from an evil Persian centuries ago.  As they say, in every generation....

No comments:

Post a Comment