Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Avraham Shmuel Tzvi (Hersh) Silverstein

AKA my Zayde

"Tzvi" and "Hersh" are the same name meaning "stag" as in deer. One is Hebrew and the other is the same name in Yiddish. I believe he used Hersh as a nickname and that his given name was Shmuel Tzvi. I understand that he took the name Avraham when he recovered from a very serious illness in his youth and as it was the custom to consider yourself reborn, one took a new or additional name.  I wish I could have known him but he died two years after I was born.

I inherited dozens of his books, five of which he was the author.  Sadly neglected, they were musty and some were crumbling into dust.  About a year ago I packed them up in two very large cartons and shipped them to cousin Charles in Toronto, to whom my father had given the family shofar (no one could blow the shofar like my father) and to whom I had bestowed our centuries old Megillah. If Charles had to destroy the books, I know he did it in a reverant and holy manner.

The few books that did not fit into the two large cartons still reside on my bookshelves, along with one of his works from his personal library that was purchased from a private collector right here a few miles from home.

I am named for his wife, my grandmother, Chava Pachter Silverstein, and I'm the only first born daughter of my generation not named for my father's sister Gittel, of blessed memory, a victim of the Holocaust.

No comments:

Post a Comment