Friday, August 30, 2013

El Cheapo

Back in 1996 we needed a cheap local mover to get our stuff out of the mini-storage warehouse to our first Florida house.  I don't remember how I found them but against my better judgement I called "El Cheapo" movers.  Cost was definitely a factor at that time and they were definitely the cheapest.  It was owned by a guy named Ward, a wiry young man with a nutty personality.  His wife Terri handled the office work.

I guess I wasn't disappointed because I called him again in 2000 to move us out of that house and into a temporary apartment and then again a year later to move us to our new house in Hollywood Oaks. He and Terri were divorced by then. Truth be told, I cringed each time I saw the "El Cheapo" trucks pull up to our new addresses.  What on earth would the neighbors think? Hahaha

I have been calling the major van lines to get estimates on moving us to The Villages. But as I perused the Yellow Pages I saw El Cheapo was still listed.  Why not? I thought.  Ward picked up on the first few rings and garbled something and I asked if I had reached El Cheapo.  He said it used to be but after 30 years of taking ribbing for being El Cheapo, he changed the name of the business.  Are you ready?  Wait for it! 

"A League of Extraordinary Movers"!

He's coming on Wednesday to give us an estimate.  What will the neighbors think?!?

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment