Sunday, August 4, 2013

Junk

I have been going through the house on a mission to eradicate extraneous belongings in preparation for what I hope will soon be a move to The Villages.  I've managed to fill two giant garbage cans (so far) with junk in various forms.

There are things I once treasured but which have become worn and sad looking - like the Coach leather briefcase I carried while I "dressed for success" in the 80s and 90s.  There are gifts I've kept but never liked - I won't give examples just in case the gifter might read this hahaha.  There are things that are still useful - like several dozen partially used ballpoint pens and cheap frames with faded pictures (I kept the pictures of course).  There are a few boxes of things I attempted to give a second life by leaving them off at Goodwill.  But mostly there is just plain junk that will probably grace a landfill for the next millennium or two. 

And, ah yes, there are the things that even though they are junk-like, I could not quite bring myself to toss into the Hefty bag of doomed tchatchkes.  The small framed Pears Soap girl that looks too much like me in my childhood days.  A yellowed book of "Practice for Army Tests" dated 1942.  Old paperbacks like "Aunt Erma's (Brombeck) Cope Book" and "I Can See You Naked" (a book on public speaking, don't think dirty), both small gifts from my late BFF.

I have a long way to go and the Cavern of Strange Treasures (the garage) will require hubby's input to sort out.  Where did all this junk ever come from!? 

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment