Friday, June 7, 2013

Smoke and Fire

So I opened up my big mouth (actually my ability to type) and responded to an article in the Huffington Post by Rabbi Shmuely Boteach.  The Rabbi was defending the nomination of Samantha Power by President Obama to replace Susan Rice as US Ambassador to the United Nations.

Ms Power has (at best) a checkered history of comments about Israel, the Palestinians, and American Jewry.  My comment was simply that the Rabbi should not be so quick to think Ms Power is a staunch supporter of Israel based on a closed-door meeting where she was able to summon a great deal of emotion including (the always effective) tears streaming down her face.

I freely admit I am not an expert on Ms Power's positions, writings, speeches and other manifestations of her opinions.  I do not care to examine the nuances of her many remarks and try to extract what she really meant to say.  But I do know that where there is so much smoke there is bound to be a little flame, if not a raging forest fire.  And since the position of US Ambassador to the UN is our country’s most important diplomatic post I for one would like her position on Israel to be crystal clear and on-the-record.

No comments:

Post a Comment