Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Day in June

What is so rare as a day in June?
Then, if ever, come perfect days;
Then Heaven tries earth if it be in tune,
And over it softly her warm ear lays;
Whether we look, or whether we listen,
We hear life murmur, or see it glisten


This poem by James Russell Lowe was bouncing around my brain today because, after all, it was a perfect June day.  Guess what?  I even remember the first time I read it.  It was on a beautifully illustrated calendar, every month featuring a different apropos snippet of poetry.

I only recall a few more from that calendar, like this old nursery rhyme, author unknown:
Down, down, yellow and brown,
leaves are falling all over town

and this one from The Children's Hour by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:
From my study I see in the lamplight,

Descending the broad hall stair,
Grave Alice, and laughing Allegra
And Edith with golden hair.
        
 
 

You can't blame me for not remembering more.  The beautiful calendar that I loved was from 1959.
 
;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment