Monday, June 10, 2013

All My Records

I use social media carefully, eschewing Twitter and LinkedIn and setting all the privacy indicators on Facebook as high as possible.  But I realize that my attempts are futile.  I am not surprised to learn that everything I've emailed or texted and everyone I've called to chat with is stored in some gigantic database in some massive Federal data farm.

I must admit I am slightly paranoid and I use old fashioned snail mail to send in our annual tax forms to the IRS.  I figure if I post them electronically it will be much easier for my sensitive information to be stored electronically.

Being an IT professional for over thirty years, I know what access to data means.  Occasionally I was asked to extract an employee's records or to do a sweep of their computer.  Being a Claims Systems Manager for healthcare and insurance companies meant I could get my hands on someone's personal data easily.  Of course, I took this responsibility very seriously.

It's a new world out there.  Give it up if you think your purchases, preferences, peeps and peccadilloes are not out there somewhere for others to see.  My best advice?  Live clean and try to stay under the radar.

;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment