Saturday, June 15, 2013

Father's Day

This week I got to see again first hand what a fantastic father Scott is.  One of the things he's done for his kids is to sign up for the Disney Vacation Club for which he pays a bundle but gets super-fun vacation experiences at least twice a year.  Kyra and Carter have enjoyed oodles of Disney cruises, Disney character meals, Disney rides and Disney souvenirs as well as trips to places like Hawaii and Arizona.

September will be twenty years since my Dad passed away.  We never went to Disneyland and our only "vacation" was an overnight trip to Springfield to see Lincoln's log cabin and city homes.  But Dad did take me to Grant Park (via bus) to see the colors change at night in Buckingham Fountain. He took me to downtown Chicago and to Manny's Delicatessen on Roosevelt Road and to the Grant Park band shell to see Queen Elizabeth and to the Lincoln Park Zoo to feed the animals.  He would pick me up from school every Wednesday (his day off) and take me home for lunch (heaven!)  

He walked with me to shul on the High Holidays and said my prayers with me every night.  He taught me to appreciate poetry and the French classics (Dumas and Hugo).  He took me for square ice cream scoops at the Cock Robin on Milwaukee Avenue and hiking at Starved Rock State Park.  He had a telescope and he showed me the planets and stars and constellations in the night sky.  He knew all their names.

Happy Father's Day Dad.  I never did miss Disneyland...

:-)

1 comment:

  1. Terri Shields Wiedre wrote: Beloved Uncle Al. The Silversteins were and are a family of intelligence, curiosity and passion. Nice to read about you recounting warm memories.

    ReplyDelete