Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Time 100

Time Magazine arrived yesterday with its list of this year's 100 Most Influential People.  I personally have never heard of at least half of them and I'm pretty sure most of them have no influence on me or my life  (JayZ? LeBron James?) except in the most superficial or indirect ways.  But the issue is perfect reading for my flight next week so I'm planning to get to know them all better.

A few do affect me every single day.  Thanks to Michael Kors and my two well designed and stylish handbags I finally can find things in the abyss known as "my purse" and I love the rose-gold watch that also bears his name and helps keep me organized.  And I'll tip my hat to Bryan Cranston whose compelling performances on Breaking Bad keep me enthralled. Of course I am not so superficial to think that President Obama, Elena Kagan, Pope Francis, Kim Jong Un, Steven Spielberg and others do not influence our world and thus, me too. 

Equally interesting are the folks who wrote the brief commentaries on each of the Time 100: Hillary Clinton on Barack Obama, Barack Obama on Tom Coburn, Eric Cantor on Joe Biden, Jodie Foster on Jennifer Lawrence, Ben Stein on Jimmy Kimmel, Arianna Huffington on Kai-Fu Lee, Jim Brady on Gabrielle Giffords, Maya Angelou on Michelle Obama, just to name a few.  Many of them could, should or have made the list themselves.

I skipped to the back of the issue and read Joel Stein's commentary on the hits and misses of Time magazine's past ten years of naming the most influential people.  Mel Gibson!  Lance Armstrong! Eliot Spitzer! Tiger Woods!  David Petraeus! Oscar Pistorius!  Loved his advice to the ladies:

Don't date anyone on the Time 100!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment