Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Gypsy Dance

Anyone who knows me knows that there are very few things that will excite me enough to get me to a "real" department store and (gasp!) pay retail.  But 17 years ago I saw an ad for Gypsy Dance bedding at Dillards and Had To Have It.  I loved the colors, the "Shabby Chic" patterns and the funky bohemian feeling.

Being cheap, I limited my purchase to one king size fitted sheet (we don't use flat sheets) and four king size pillow cases.  The sheet is gone now but with my tender loving care the four pillow cases survive.  I put them on last week and once again had to stand back and admire them. I still loved my old friends, as much as the day I brought them home.

Gypsy Dance was a pattern created by Collier Campbell, famous English designers. Wamsutta made the fabric into sheets, pillowcases, comforters, bedskirts and shams.  The pattern and the bedding are long discontinued and of all discontinued patterns, Gypsy Dance is the most sought after.  But I decided I would try and find them again.  And yesterday I received two beautiful Gypsy Dance king size shams from a vintage collector I found on ebay!

It pays to look for old friends!  Quality endures and love never dies...

;-)

 

12 comments:

  1. I too have had gypsy dance since the 80's and love it. i am looking for a full or queen bed skirt - can you give me your contact info please? these are the absolute most wonderful linens ever made and after all these years the entire ensemble still looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! There was a queen size bedskirt for sale on eBay but I think it's gone now. I saw a king duvet cover for $229.99.

      Ebay is the only place to find Gypsy Dance items now, I fear. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I have a full bed skirt. Gypsy Dance!
    I need a queen fitted and one standard sham. Perhaps we can work a swap if you have these

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just listed a King duvet cover for $225 on Etsy
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/603334821/collier-campbell-duvet-cover-king-size?ref=shop_home_active_1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking for the Gypsy dance quilt/comforter queen - not cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a complete set, queen size. Anyone interested? Very good condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, is the set still available, and if so, for how much? Pattern brings back good memories. I'd be happy with just the flat sheet if you've broken up the set. Re shipping, I'm in Oceanside, CA.

      Delete