Monday, October 10, 2011

Think Pink

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  For those touched in some way by this disease, including myself, we don't need a month to be made more aware.

In October 1996 my best friend of 30 years told me she knew she had breast cancer even without a biopsy.  She had unmistakable physical changes.  But she was a newlywed, and she wanted to enjoy at least one happy holiday season with her new hubby and she wanted to get life insurance so she could leave a small legacy for her children, still teenagers. She did not get an official diagnosis until February 1997.

I asked her what the results of her last mammogram were.  She said it was about 12 years ago; she didn't think she needed to go again until she was 50.  Of the hundreds and hundreds of hours the two of us spent talking about everything under the sun, this subject had never come up.  I assumed she got a yearly mammogram as I did (and do).

Perhaps it IS wise that there is a Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Love and miss you my angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment