Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Library

Double Dexter, newly published by local author Jeff Lindsay, is on hold and waiting for me at the Hollywood Library.  I would pick it up today but recent cuts by the County mean the library is no longer open on Sundays.

I have always had a well-used library card.  Growing up, I frequented the new Northtown library at California and Devon (built 1958).  I could walk there but it was a shlep. An ambitious school project might require a trip on the Lincoln Avenue bus to the old Hild library in Germantown. With its dim lighting, narrow aisles and wooden shelves and tables, it looked like Professor Indiana Jones might have studied there.  And a trip downtown to the old Main Library was like a pilgrimage to a holy shrine.   

Futurists say the library as we remember it, filled with dusty books and stacks waiting to be re-shelved, may soon be a thing of the past.

But tomorrow, Double Dexter and I have a date at 10 am!

No comments:

Post a Comment