Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hometown USA

My hometown is Chicago and always will be but my second hometown is here in Hollywood Florida. 

If I had to describe Hollywood in one word it would be "quirky".  It is certainly no suburban enclave boasting miles of chain stores with easy in-and-out parking, similar looking houses and inhabitants whose financial pictures are pretty much the same.  Hollywood is the only city I can think of around here that does not have a Wal-Mart (something I miss dearly).  Ditto no Golden Corral. 

Hollywood residents range from the homeless to CEOs of major corporations (like the late Dave Thomas of Wendy's).  Most are middle to lower middle class and many are 3rd or 4th generation citizens who would never think of living anywhere else.

Like everyone else who finds themselves anywhere, I landed in Hollywood Florida due to a variety of serendipitous occurrences.  I must admit I am generally pleased with this turn of events.  Hollywood has a thriving Jewish population, a gorgeous beach and a bunch of interesting places to eat and shop (that seem to change every month).  And of course its quintessential quirkiness promises to keep life interesting for years to come. 

Hollywood's motto used to be:
I think that sums it up perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment