Tuesday, September 6, 2011

...About This Sabbath

Cousin Marlene posted ...ABOUT THIS SABBATH (see below) on her blog.  It was uncanny that both us wrote almost simultaneously about the joy of Friday night services.  When I wrote her "we must be related!" and when she read my blog post she responded as follows:


Marlene Perlman-Putterman
Evelyn, there is no "MUST" about it, clearly Uncle Al and Zade made sure their children were very firmly linked to the family values, but 'OH, WOW,' on the timing of our thoughts!

Larry was in Shul ALL the time; Shabbat (& before or after the service found that he was the only soccer coach on the field w/a suit and tie), every Yom-Tov of course, and pretty much everyday in between for something because he was ' ritual' chairman and there is always a Minyan or ritual to tend to in Shul! Don't get me wrong, I was active and the girls were always there, but compared to Larry it was all to a much lesser degree. One of the things I loved most about that guy Larry; he had great values, morals and ideals, knew his place in the Jewish community, AND most important made sure that he kept his family connected to their 'second home' by making it most important in our house.

After Larry passed away we went to Shul every Friday night, but ultimately stopped and I can't really even say why. I loved the Friday night service for many reasons, AND have been saying how much I feel the need to go to Friday night services for the longest time.

Interestingly, the Rabbi's sermon spoke to those who make their Shabbos dinners, celebrate with their families in their own homes, and DON'T COME TO SHUL. What is happening to the Friday night service?

Just one more connection I see that I also use a New Year to make important changes in my life.



...about this Sabbath

by Marlene Perlman Putterman

While sharing a special occasion with an incredible family this Sabbath morning after a week of work, traffic, more work, and more traffic, I was sitting in the sanctuary of a Synagogue with nothing but time to reflect.   What a peaceful, calming way to end a week; I loved who I was with, where I was at, & what I was doing.

The Rabbi spoke about many things, but one thing in particular stayed with me the whole day.   He said something about improving oneself, moving or advancing because to stay the same, or stagnant, is the same as falling behind.  Applicable in so many contexts, I chose to use that concept to help myself define goals that would help me improve as a person, to avoid becoming “stagnant,” or falling behind the person I want to be.

This evening, I heard about the passing of two people; both connected by community, schools, friends, & family, to name just a few.  I am so sad about these two women, contemporaries of mine, both so young. 

…So, I should not forget to continuously strive to advance myself as a person.  Life is fragile; each day must reflect the best of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment