Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Standstill

Standstill is the perfect word to describe my life right now (have you noticed I have not been blogging?)

I do precious little everyday except read Twitter posts from five or six feeds from Israeli news sources and check Facebook every few minutes for posts about Israel, all while keeping an eye on CNN and even Al Jazeera America for breaking news developments in the Middle East.  I do not care about Maj Jong or calling friends (except to keep tabs on Harvey who is still in the hospital) or anything else that would tear me away from my mission to worry about the Israeli-Gaza conflict and the rising count of dead civilians and Israeli soldiers.

I have also tried to do my part to support Israel from my tiny vantage point here in the bubble of my retirement haven. I supply the list of Israeli soldiers who have given their lives in this most recent war to the shul for the Shloshim reading (the 30 day mourning period) Friday night. I re-post on Facebook the most compelling of pro-Israel posts. I recite the Shema every noon as part of a global initiative. I looked for a way to send monetary support to Israel and decided buying a substantial (for us) block of Israel Bonds was the best way (hopefully we bought a few Iron Dome defense missiles and helped save some lives). I sing Oseh Shalom as I do the housework. And I pray:

May the One who causes peace to reign in the high heavens, let peace descend on us, on all Israel, and all the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment