Sunday, July 20, 2014

Florida

I read this article/slideshow on the Worst States To LIve In. Very happily, Florida was not included. It didn't make the Best States either but I really think it should have.

I've visited 48 of our 50 states (exceptions being Maine and Alaska) and Florida is certainly my favorite. I'm talking about to actually live in, not just to visit the beaches and Disney World.

The cost of living is reasonable especially here in Central Florida. There's no state tax and I believe inheritance taxes are non-existent. Fun touristy attractions from Key West to St. Augustine abound and you can grab a cheap cruise from Tampa, Port Canaveral, Miami or Fort Lauderdale at a moment's notice. It's pretty flat here, no scary mountain roads to navigate. Gorgeous weather, lush tropical greenery and stunning natural landscapes are a given. There's a soft Southern vibe mixed in with cosmopolitan offerings brought here by refugees from New York and other big cities. There's a ton of diversity (more so in South Florida) and a large Jewish population (delis!). There are great medical facilities to service our older population and of course, there's The Villages, a special world unto itself. If I had to be poor somewhere, I'd rather be poor in Florida.  Even the most modest of areas look better than the war-torn looking slums and housing projects I've seen in big cities. As an added bonus, you don't have to travel much to see your friends and relatives - sooner or later they will all be here for a visit!

I think I'll stay...

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment